Marsh eyeing long international career

Bridgetown (Barbados): Shaun Marsh hopes to use the occasion of the maiden Twenty20 International in the Caribbean to launch a long international career.

The 24-year-old Marsh will make his debut for the senior Australia debut, when he appears in the Twenty20 International against West Indies on Friday at Kensington Oval.

1.Short Highlights

West Indies won the toss and elected to field first. Match delayed by a wet outfield.

"It's been fantastic, and obviously, I have been dreaming about this for a long time," he told reporters.

"Being over here and being in the changing rooms with all the guys has been fantastic so far, and I can't wait for the game to start. I feel the emotion. Obviously, I have been working hard, and I can't wait for the match to start, and to represent my country.

"This is a great opportunity for me, and I have got a chance on this trip to the Caribbean. I am looking forward to it. I have got to grab it with both hands and do all the things I have been doing right over the last 12 months.

"Hopefully, I can do well." Marsh, the Western Australia Player-of-the-Year, is the son of former Australia opening batsman and national coach, Geoff Marsh.

"He gave me a bit of advice before I came over here, and told me to come over here and enjoy the experience, and enjoy being in this great team," the younger Marsh said.

"He has been pretty good to me. When I do need any advice, he has always been there for me. He has tended to let me work things out for myself, and stay away from my cricket which has been good. But whenever I need his help, he has been there."

Marsh was the most outstanding batsman in the cash-rich Indian Premier League, after distinguishing himself as the leading Twenty20 batsman in Australia's 2007-08 domestic season.

He transported his rich vein of form to India, where he propped up Kings Punjab XI's batting with 593 runs in 10 matches at an average of 74.12.

"The IPL was fantastic for me," he said. To get over there, and play a few games, and do well, it was a great lead-up for this trip to the West Indies.

"I am hitting the ball as best as I can at the moment, and hopefully, it can continue on this tour. But getting over here and learning as much as I can. I am not going to put too much pressure on myself.